2711 N. Duke Street Durham, NC 27704 map
request a visit
American Academy of
American Board of
Duke Oral Health
children’s dental care tips
- Grinding of baby teeth or adult teeth
- Usually occurs at night
- Results in mild to severe wear of front and back teeth
- Very common in young children with baby teeth
- Usually decreases by age 7-8 years old and is eliminated after the eruption of the permanent teeth at 12 years.
1. You can develop tooth sensitivity once the enamel covering is gone-uncommon in baby teeth.
2. The nerve can be exposed- OUCH! May require extraction.
- Young children up to 8 years old usually require no treatment. Parents may have to purchase earplugs!
- Older children may require a mouth guard at night to protect their permanent teeth.
- Dr. Keels will monitor your child's occlusal wear and recommend any treatment if needed.